Down in the depths of New College Library's Stack III, one of the first rows of shelves that faces you when you enter contains the Acta Sanctorum. This huge Latin work in sixty-eight volumes examines the lives of saints, organised according to each saint's feast day in the calendar year. Fifty-three of the volumes were published between 1643 and 1794 by the Bollandist Fathers in Antwerp.
May 12, 2012
Treasures of New College Library : the Acta Sanctorum
Even bibliodeviants need Christmas present...
This is the journal of Adrian Harrington Rare Books and all who sail in her. Information, updates, rantings, musings and pretty pictures related (loosely I would imagine) to the world of rare and antiquarian books will be brought to you by a number of different personalities, some of whom cohabit in the same person's head. We welcome queries, comments and contributions of virtually any description, and in return we will attempt to rein in our multitudinous personality disorders and deliver wonders and joys beyond compare. At least that's the plan. View all posts by bibliodeviant
This entry was posted on Saturday, May 12th, 2012 at 11:28 am and posted in General Madness. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Deviant Cloud2012 adrian harrington age alex cf antiquarian books bibliophile book collecting bookdealers Book Fairs book history books book value california book cryptozoology cuvier darwin dorian gray dostoevsky e-books exhibition fandom first edition future of the book galileo greg gibson harry potter and the philosopher's stone hypnerotomachia poliphili in re militari jonathan Kearns kindle lamarck lewis carroll Literature lovecraft marco polo olympia bookfair origin of species Rare Books rarity tolkien ulysses value Wilkie Collins wuthering heights www.alexcf.com
- RT @SMCoulombeau: this has made my day. “@Finny_stitch: C18th lad declares 'I like big books and I cannot lie' flickr.com/photos/3789249…” 10 hours ago
- Bookbarn International: How a barn full of old books became a web wonder - Business Analysis independent.co.uk/news/business/… via @Independent 1 day ago
- RT @FalesLibrary: The Fales Riot Grrrl Collection in the NY Times Magazine nyti.ms/10W4xWM 2 days ago
- . @Harkaway having said that, I'm horrendously bad at it and basically require some sort of proof reading cyborg implant. #grammarnanobots 2 days ago
- . @Harkaway I like grammar, just not as a "defining" quality of writing. It's a tool for clarification, not an excuse for smug chastisement. 2 days ago
- Mr. Harkaway speaks... Nick Harkaway - There’s grammar and there’s grammar nickharkaway.com/theres-grammar… 2 days ago
- RT @Harkaway: Thinking about grammar: nickharkaway.com/theres-grammar… 2 days ago
- @janineveazue @theretronaut Oh boy! That is stupendous! 2 days ago